While retirees and the independently wealthy have been leaving the country for more attractive locations for decades, it’s only recently that the option has been available for those of us who still have to work. The reason for that is the Internet.
High-speed connections and the ability to both send and receive money online means it’s easier than ever before to work remotely. In fact, millions of Americans work from home every day, so it stands to reason that you could work from another country as well. This is true for people of all ages.
Offering your services online
While you could get a more traditional “job” and work from the road, it’s significantly easier if you don’t have a boss to worry about. Rather than looking for an online job, then, you’re probably better off to build a business. Sites you can register as a contractor include Odesk https://www.odesk.com and Elance.
Depending on your income needs, this might mean working just a few hours per week, or it might mean a bigger commitment. Good thing these popular online businesses offer incredible flexibility in addition to great income potential.
Examples of online services
- Virtual assistant – VAs work in a lot of different areas and specialties. They build websites, edit audio and video files, write content, create graphics, keep appointment calendars, and just about anything else that can be done on a computer. Note, however, that competition is high from lower-wage countries like India or the Philippines.
- Affiliate marketer – Affiliate marketers make money by recommending products to others. When you make a sale through a specially coded affiliate link, you earn a small commission. Income is based on the amount of effort you put into it, and can range from very little to multiple six figures.
- Information product creator – If you have a great deal of knowledge about a particular topic (or just like to research) and love to write and/or create videos and audios, creating info products might be for you. Product creators can earn hundreds of thousands of dollars each year, but it generally takes time to build up to that level.
- Coach – Coaching is a hot business these days, and can easily be done remotely. Life coaches help their clients achieve more and have a happier life. Business coaches assist with business planning and development. Dating coaches help clients find lasting love. Established coaches can earn up to $500 per hour, but be aware that certification and relevant experience would be required.
- Writer – Writing is an in-demand skill, and can certainly provide a good income no matter where you live. Demand covers writing blogs and articles for websites, marketing brochures, PR materials or even help to ghost write books for authors. Top writers can earn as much as $2,000 for a magazine article but most earn considerably less than that.
Any of these businesses can be operated entirely online with nothing more than a laptop and maybe a headset. Rarely will you be required to attend a face-to-face meeting, meaning your schedule will be totally flexible, and you can live anywhere you choose.