Making smoothies is really quite simple. But before we jump into how to make a smoothie in just a few simple steps, there are some basic elements that every smoothie requires. So, let’s take a look at those first.
Elements of a smoothie
- Liquid – Aside from the main ingredients, this is one of the most important elements of a smoothie. You need some sort of liquid in the blender to puree the ingredients and to make the smoothie drinkable. Some of the most popular liquids are water, juice, or milk. Other liquids such as coffee or tea may also be used. If you’re replacing meals with a smoothie to help lose weight, keep in mind that you will want to choose a healthy option.
- Fruits/Berries/Vegetables – These are the main ingredients of your smoothie. You can choose to make an all fruit smoothie, an all berry smoothie, an all vegetable smoothie, or any combination. It’s entirely up to you and your taste preferences. Vegetable smoothies, the popular ‘green smoothies,’ can be more palatable to some if just a bit of sweet fruit or berries are added to reduce the bitterness of some vegetables.
- Yogurt – This is a pretty common ingredient that a lot of smoothie recipes call for. If you’re using yogurt, you may not also need a liquid. However, getting that extra hydration in your smoothie is a good idea. A little fresh orange juice, coconut water, or plain water will give your smoothie a nutritional boost and a smoother consistency
- Optional Ingredients – One of the great things about a smoothie is that you can add ingredients to make it more flavorful or to add even more nutrients. For example, you can add things like flax seeds, chia seeds, peanut butter, whey protein, nuts, or raw honey.
- Blender – There are lots of options and a wide range of prices when it comes to choosing a blender. One of the most expensive brands is the Vitamix blender, and that is what I use. This is a case where the expression ‘you get what you pay for’ tends to be true. The less expensive standard kitchen blenders may not stand up to the rigorous use required to puree raw foods into a drinkable form. Many people start with their regular blender and move up to a more specialized model when they become hooked on smoothies and make them regularly.
Now that you know the basics of what making a smoothie requires, let’s look at a simple step-by-step process for making a smoothie.
4 Easy Steps to Make a Smoothie
- Add the liquid to your blender. Depending on the size of your blender and the type of ingredients you are using, about a cup of liquid will be needed. Really it just depends on the desired consistency. You may also use ice cubes or crushed ice for some of the liquid, which results in a frothier smoothie.
- Add the fruit, berries, or vegetables. Make sure they are cut up small to make blending easier. Many fruits and berries actually blend better when frozen, producing a colder, frothier smoothie.
- Add any optional ingredients if you wish. As mentioned, these would be things like whey protein powder, flax seeds, peanut butter, and more.
- Blend on high until smooth. The time you need will depend on the ingredients and the size or power of the blender. Blend until the mixture is drinkable. If you’re not satisfied with the consistency, you may add liquid or other ingredients at this point and blend again.
You’ll find that the more smoothies you make, the easier it will become to make the smoothies you prefer without even following a recipe. As you create your smoothies, you’ll discover your taste preferences. Your smoothies will start to fall into categories to suit your needs, and before long you will have your own collection of favorite recipes.
With the basic elements ready and these four simple steps outlined, there is really no reason to wait. Go ahead and whip up a smoothie today!