Many people from are traveling abroad for surgeries – over 500,000 Americans combine an exotic vacation with a surgical procedure each year. Medial tourism is popular for a variety of reasons, one of which is cost; and that popularity is increasing every day. So, what do people have done?
- Bariatric procedures: Bariatric surgery is popular for privacy and cost issues as well as for choices. Many foreign countries have a slightly different type of gastric bypass than what is currently available in the U.S. and some people would like to use a different procedure from what is available in their own country.
- Fertility: Couples that struggle with fertility not only have an emotional strain but also a financial one. The cost of an IVF procedure is well over $12,000 per attempt and, often, many procedures are necessary to get the desired results. This can quickly drain a bank account. On the other hand, an exotic trip to Argentina can include a quick tango and an IVF for a third of the cost in the US.
- Cosmetic Surgery: A perennial favorite, many countries from Canada to Thailand offer first-rate plastic surgeons at rock bottom prices. From tummy tucks to face lifts, you can look better for less with medical tourism.
- Dentistry: Most people wouldn’t think of traveling anywhere but to the corner dentist to have some dental work done but many procedures, especially dental implants and veneers, are expensive at home. In fact, many insurance companies will not even cover cosmetic procedures. If you want a pretty smile, a trip overseas may be just the ticket. And the price tag will have you grinning from ear to ear all the way home.
5. Stem Cell Research: Controversial in the United States, stem cell research is moving forward rapidly in other parts of the world. In fact, Singapore has a state-of-the-art research center and many people suffering from diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s have traveled there for advanced help.
6. Cardiac: You have to take care of your heart otherwise you won’t be around. But what do you do if that means you financially bankrupt your family in the process? It sounds pretty awful to say that you cannot afford to live. A better answer would be to travel to places like India, where the same procedures can be done for up to 90% off. See the country, fix your heart and move on with your life. Save your money and your life at the same time.
7. Cancer Treatment: It is no longer just the rich and famous that travel abroad for the latest cancer treatments. The affordability of international travel combined with the oppressive cost of treatment here in the United States make traveling overseas for treatment a viable option, if not a necessity.
As you can see there are many reason for medical tourism and it’s not just for the rich and famous. Medical tourism is one of the best ways to get what you need done when you can’t afford it or just save you from spending everything you do have to keep your health. Remember: always do your research and check with your professional medical advisors before you undertake a surgery overseas.